top of page

72 Hours in Dorset | A Warm Welcome in Weymouth

Updated: May 29, 2023

It was finally time for my travel partner to travel without me. My son has become my travel partner and the only travel partner I desire at this point in time. So when my mum booked a Caribbean getaway for him this year, I was like "Aaaah! yes, I'm free for a week!.. but what am I going to do?" Torn between global travelling, staying home, or a short break I wondered what I'd do.

So I scoured the internet looking for short UK breaks, (last minute.) I didn't want to be too far away from home, and I wanted to go somewhere I hadn't been before. I finally decided to visit Dorset, Weymouth to be specific. So this is my account of 36 hours in Dorset. With so much to do, I felt like Weymouth and Dorset were one of the best places of leisure.

A Warm Welcome in Weymouth

I woke up early to get the train to Victoria to pick up my coach. Although the tickets stated that it would be a 4-hour and 45-minute journey, It took 4 hours to arrive in Weymouth. I had originally booked my tickets with Megabus, and unsure of the exact location, my anxiety kicked in, enabling me to leave out extra early. I waited at Victoria coach station for my Megabus to arrive, and I travelled with a Megabus sister company (Airsym.)

A lady on the Airsym Coach
Me on the Airsym Coach

Within the first 20 minutes, I fell asleep! So much for enjoying the ride! I woke up with 1.5 hours to go to my destination and just enjoyed the views of the windows for the rest of my journey. I finally arrived in Weymouthat 2.05 pm, which was a little earlier than expected. As I departed my coach and headed towards my hotel. I looked around my surrounding environment to see if it looked anything like where I lived. So as I got to the top of the road, I was met by The Weymouth Pier and beach. To my right, I was immediately reminded of Brighton, and I wasn't that much impressed, but as I looked to my left, I could see the most picturesque and breathtaking views of the mountains and my perception and first impressions immediately changed.

With natural smiles and hello's, I felt as though I received such a warm welcome in Weymouth.

I stood there taking in the views of across Weymouth pier and walked slowly towards my hotel, noticing local restaurants and food shops. I arrived at my hotel and checked in. This is nice, I told myself before having a hot shower and preparing to head out for dinner. Arriving on a Sunday meant that my choices of restaurants to eat dinner at were limited as many of them were closed. On my way, I did find a local Italian restaurant that was open, and although Italian is my least favourite, I had to make a decision quickly, and so I did.

After dinner, I sat on a bench at the beach and just watched the waves crash into the sand. I walked up and down, discovering places I could eat at over the next few days. Burning off the evenings' dinner calories, I continued to walk around before heading back to my hotel.

Beachfront View at Weymouth
Beachfront View

A warm and cosy, well-lit room had me more than ready to jump into bed for a good night's sleep, but instead, I opted for a quiet movie night, taking full advantage of the Netflix subscription and the popcorn and snacks I had brought with me!

On night one, I had chosen a great movie to watch. It was "Acrimony" by Tyler Perry, and before a good night's sleep, my son called to see if I was O.K, he was having a great time, enjoying his Caribbean stay without me!

Day 2, I got up early and went downstairs, looking forward to breakfast. I decided I would visit the Infamous tourist attraction and world heritage UNESCO site, Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. I had a 9.45 am bus to catch (the X54 to be exact). I had to eat breakfast speedily ensuring I made my bus. The bus stop was down the road so, that was handy! It was a 30-minute drive to Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. I decided to get off at Lulworth Cove so I could enjoy the views from beginning to end. At this point, I don't believe I realised it was a 30-minute walk back to Durdle Door.

Luckily for me, I had carried a bottle of water with me, because here was where my trail began.

At the entrance, I questioned myself over and over again if I could really do this mountaintop nature trail, and the Devil was in my ear, telling "No" "I couldn't do it." Nevertheless, I ignored the negative voice and told myself I could! I knew I couldn't come all the way to Dorset, just to turn my back on the Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door hike.

Beginning of the Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door Trail
Entrance: Lulworth Cove Trail to Durdle Door

Breathtaking Views of Dorset

I took my time, walking as slowly as I could, trying to preserve my energy. My return bus was scheduled for 12.50pmso I made it my mission to be back at the bus stop for 12.30 as I didn't want to miss the bus that's supposed to come every three hours. (I was way too scared) So I continued on my trail, looking back every 5 minutes or so, to see how far I got, wondering if I should carry on. 15 minutes into my trial, this guy smiles as he walks back towards the end, I told him I couldn't do it. He told me I had a long way to go, but he encouraged me by saying "You can do it" I laughed it off and continued my journey.

Mountain top view at Lulworth Cove
My Half-way through View!

Step by step, I took my time, took in the views from the top of the mountains and took many photos. It was all smiles on the path to Durdle Door, everyone was routing for the next person, and everyone was friendly and fairly motivated to get to the beautiful Durdle Door beach at the bottom. That was my goal, just to relax at one of the UNESCO world heritage sites in Dorset.

30 minutes went by and I had finally made it. I wasn't as out of breath as I thought I would be, and I was much stronger mentally and physically than I had initially told myself. I sat at the sandy pebbled beach and took one too many photos, drinking a bottle of water while reflecting on my goals, my journey and my life.

I gave thanks to the Lord for everything, before watching the waves crash in the ocean. I felt proud of myself, I mean, it was a small win, but a win is a win! I tend to suffer from anxiety when travelling to places I haven't been before and I really felt welcomed in Weymouth. From both locals and visitors in the area, something I couldn't quite say when I visited Wales.

My view of Dorset

Before I knew it, an hour or so had already passed and I had to make my way back to the bus stop. Which meant my trail began all over again! 30 minutes back to the start. I, sure enough, burnt enough calories off to last me a week! I finally arrived back at my bus stop and waited. Panic began to set in as my bus hadn't yet arrived. Ten minutes has passed and the scheduled bus still hadn't arrived after the scheduled time. 20 minutes later, I was freezing worried and ready to grab a coffee. My bus finally arrived and I sighed with relief. Happy but tired, I was ready to go back to grab some tea and a spot of lunch. After I had returned, I had a small bite to eat back at the hotel and chilled out for the rest of the day.

Dinner reservations were booked the day before, and as funds were running low I tried to cancel but was unable to due to how late I had left it. Nevertheless, I went ahead and had dinner. It felt great. I hadn't dated myself or taken myself out in such a long time. Dinner was fresh fish and chips with Tartare sauce- ideal for a seaside location.

Unfortunately, dinner was very late. It was delayed by at least 45 minutes, and at this point, I was starving. Dinner had finally arrived and It was dark, I took a stroll in the town, before heading back to my hotel. Had a hot shower, read a book, and then fell asleep.

On Day 3, I woke up early for breakfast again and to do my last little bit of sightseeing. My body was in so much pain from the hiking I did the day before. Guess I wasn't as fit as I thought. I headed back to bed after breakfast until around 1 pm, before getting up to do a little bit more exploring.

Missing my son, I was more than ready to go back home, to London. Time had quickly passed before I knew it, and it was already too late to visit the last attraction that I had planned. (The Northe Fort)

A White Boat at the Marina
A White Boat at the Marina

As it was already after 4 pm, I decided to head to the Marina instead to watch the boats dock in and out. Look around some of the souvenir shops and came across many options for dinner. I had a small dinner and was still exhausted from the hiking the day before. So I had another ' Netflix and Chill' evening.

Boats at the Marina
Boats at the Marina

The next morning it was time to head back home. I made sure I had breakfast early, for the last time, and quickly packed up my things ready to catch my 11.30 am coach. Checked out at 9.45 and left my suitcase in the lobby before enjoying the last wanders of Weymouth. I sat on a bench watching the sea before going back to grab my suitcase and head for my coach. Outside Weymouth station, my coach had arrived early. I then got on ready for the journey back. Overall, I really had a wonderful stay in Weymouth. The people, the experience... etc. I received a very warm welcome and look forward to returning!

Have you ever been to Dorset? Let me know in the comments where you've stayed.

7 views0 comments


bottom of page